14 September 2010

An author you can love


Click on the image to enlarge.

The kind of author a designer wishes for. I have just done a jacket for a debut author, SJ Watson, who lives in Britain. Text, where I work, seem to have produced the first cover for the book, which will be published in 20 languages(!).

Having worked in the NHS for fifteen years, he can't quite get used to being real author yet. In his blog, he writes: "Yesterday, though, it felt very real. I woke to an email from the team at Text, who are publishing my book in Australia and New Zealand. 'We are delighted to show you our cover...' it said. I was still half asleep, but felt almost too anxious to open the email. What if I hated it? What if it looked like the kind of book I wouldn't look twice at? The cover design is so important - probably the main reason someone picks up a book in a store (or, presumably, clicks on it in an online store?) - and the wrong jacket might put off a whole host of potential readers.

So, anyway. I did open the email. And I love the cover. I think it's perfect. It's designed by the art director at Text, Chong Weng Ho."

+++

This is the cover:



He adds: "The text at the bottom says 'The best debut novel I have ever read.' - Tess Gerritsen. That bit I am particularly happy about!"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. And thanks for the cover design too. I do love it, and now I've had a few days with it I love it even more. Thank you so much for all your hard work - I can't wait to have the real thing sitting on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete